Thursday, September 29, 2011

Barefoot Running: It begins...

Check out my new clodhoppers! Today I started barefoot running. I used to run a fair amount, but I had to stop because it was killing my knees. Recently I heard about forefoot/barefoot running and how it helps a lot with knee problems. So... I got myself a pair of Vibram 5 Fingers, which are like gloves for feet. They are probably the nerdiest shoes in existence right now, which explains why I LOVE THEM.
I hear that it is easy to get injuries if I get into barefoot running too fast, so I am also doing the "Couch to 5K" program to ease myself into it. Today I ran for about 25 minutes, alternating between running and walking. For the last five minutes, I took off my Vibrams and ran with just my bare tootsies on our 20-grit sidewalks. Overall, it felt awesome to be running again, even though I am still shaking off a cold. My knees didn't give me a lick of trouble, but my feet felt a little strain, so I can see how a person needs to ease into it. I've been running stairs recently, so I think that helped with my calves, which people say is the first thing on your body to complain. The barefoot part at the end was uncomfortable, but not painful. I'm looking forward to building up callouses on my feet.
I'll keep you posted!

No comments: